Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I'm Back!

Just a little hiatus over the last couple of days - we went camping on the weekend and unless you count some drinks around the campfire as physical activity that is all that we were doing. The kids had a great time as did we but it is also good to get home as well. Not very much fun as we started painting our fence last night, by the time the two little ones go to bed and we get set up we only have a couple of hours daylight to work (8-10:30 or so) but it is started and we will do some every night provided no rain, and it feels good to get back into running as well.

I went to a spinning class yesterday at lunch and boy do my quads feel it today. I am hoping that my supplementing some classes like these it will help with both my running and shedding a couple of pounds. Today was a pretty good run, I told myself I wanted to do 6 miles and ended up with 6.24 miles with pretty good times. There is a mile marker at one point on the trail so I sprinted for 1/4 of it and eased up for 1/4 followed by sprint for a 1/4 again. Wasn't really trying to to speed work but it worked pretty good.

Total distance: 6.24 miles
Total time: 54:08 minutes
Avg. min/mile: 8:41 min/mile
Laps: 8:32, 8:25, 8:16, 8:44, 8:14, 8:59, 2:54 (last 0.24)

Fairly inconsistent but I was trying a couple of things out, the little bit of 'speed' work I did I could really feel it. Anybody with any tips for increasing speed?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a nice couple of days away :) The spinning/cross-training will definitely help in your running!!! And nice average for the 6 miler :)

    A couple of things for speed. You can start off by doing 100 pickups at the end just to get your legs used to the faster turnover. There is no set speed, just speed up and work up to 10x100. Intervals on a track such as 400's, 800's 1000 and 1600 meters. If you start off with 1600's just do 1 or 2 the first time to. Don't do speed and another hard workout back to back though. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete